Iowa State University is committed to offering quality, affordable healthcare plans to our faculty, staff, and their eligible dependents. As part of this commitment, Iowa State verifies the eligibility of all dependents enrolled in Iowa State University's medical, dental, and/or vision plans. Iowa State has partnered with WTW (formerly Willis Towers Watson), a long-time Iowa State benefits partner and consultant, to manage this project. This webpage provides useful information about the project, most of which will be sent directly to employees who have dependents on a medical, dental, and/or vision plan.
Eligible dependents include: spouse, domestic partner, and dependent children. Dependent children may be covered until December 31 of the year they turn age twenty-six (26). If covering a dependent child over age twenty-six (26), they must be an unmarried, full-time student (student status verification is required).
Spouse: Legally married spouse as defined by state law.
Domestic Partner: A domestic partnership is established when all of the following requirements are met:
- In a committed relationship solely to one another and intend to continue the relationship indefinitely
- Neither person is married nor a domestic partner to another person
- Both persons are above the age of eighteen (18) and are not related in a way that would otherwise bar marriage
- Both persons agree to support one another and share significant resources for the benefit of their union
- Declaration of Domestic Relationship Form (PDF)
Eligible Child: An eligible child is a child who is your:
- Biological child
- Legally adopted or placed for adoption (you assume a legal obligation to provide full or partial support and intend to adopt the child)
- Child for whom you have legal guardianship
- Foster child